Reject Keystone XL-Now! Rallies on January 13, 2015
Sarah Lachance - 350 Maine Tar Sands Team Coordinator - speaks to the crowd in Congress Square Park in Portland
Thanks to all who turned out in support of the "Reject Keystone XL-Now" Rallies across the state on January 13, 2015.
It was a cold day and night for the varying events, but we had impressive turnout across the state.
350 Maine supported seven events in Maine and one in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The power of the "regional node" structure of 350 Maine was reinforced with individuals and groups acting locally but in unison with events across the state, the region, and the entire country.
Just prior to the official kick-off of the event, here was the tally across the country, with at least one event in every state: Events registered = 160; Online RSVP's = 3614.
350.org (with photos of the events across the country here) reported that within 72 hrs the #NoKXL movement organized 160 events in 50 U.S. states, 4 tribal lands and delivered 500,000+ petitions to The White House.
Here's the list of 350 Maine events that took place in association with coalition partners, including Sierra Club, Environment Maine, CREDO, Natural Resources Council of Maine, the Maine Green Independent Party, Green Initiatives, the Maine Students for Climate Justice, Belfast Transition - and others! The links take you to a photo album from each event.
- 350 York County (with 350 New Hampshire and Seacoast)
Here are media links from the events:
- WABI-TV 5 (Bangor): text/video of event (Valerie Carter comments; appears to be somewhat raw/repetitive video); text/video pre-event
- WCSH-TV 6 (Portland): text announcement; video - pre-event (includes reference to state events and Portland/Bangor event details)
- MPBN (statewide; Portland picture): picture/text of event
- Wiscasset Newspaper: article
If you have additional information to share about any of the events (photos, press reports, etc.), please forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org.