Rally of Unity 2014
Join us for the Second Annual
Rally of Unity
Young People Speak Out!
WHEN: January 9th at 1pm SHARP (come early to make it through security!)
WHERE: Hall of Flags, inside the State House, Augusta
The Rally of Unity is a collaborative demonstration by the Alliance for Common Good, an ad-hoc coalition of over 20 environmental and social justice groups assembling as a unified front to give voice to ordinary Maine people and to push back against corporate dominance in government, with hopes to organize into the future. We recognize that our democracy has been abandoned, so we must work together to tell to our elected officials that we want:
Maine Money and Resources for People, Not Corporations!
A Maine Economy that Protects the Environment
Money Out of Politics
This year’s theme: Young People Speak Out! In 2014 we want to highlight young people who are passionate about creating a healthy future by inviting everyone who identifies as a “young person” to give a short speech about your concerns, your hopes, and the need for unity. Don’t be shy, there will be other people practicing public speaking for the first time! You can participate off the cuff, but try to let us know in advance by contacting Chris: email@example.com or 495-3648
- At 1pm music will bring us together as we meet in the Hall of Flags. You will have to go through security to get in. No sign stakes will be allowed, so plan on hand carrying your visuals.
- Speeches by young people about their concerns, their hopes, and the need for unity
- Speeches by others whose message needs to be heard
- Photo on the stairs of all groups present
- Share handouts and information (There will be 4 info tables)
- Citizen lobbying with legislators about specific bills during this emergency session, or your concerns in general
- Individuals and groups should represent themselves visually, and be creative to highlight issues. You are responsible for getting your people there!
- No groups will be featured. We do not all agree or endorse each other, but we can rally behind the principles of “Maine Money and Resources for People, Not Corporations,” “A Maine Economy that Protects the Environment,” and “Money Out of Politics,” therefore:
- One press release will represent all of us. To provide quotes, or to be on the list to review the release before it’s sent out, contact Meg by January 1: firstname.lastname@example.org or 495-3648
- We need spokespeople to talk to press at the event. We’d prefer these to be young people or Mainers with a personal story, who will speak to the message of unity and say why they’re at the rally. To be a spokesperson, contact Meg: email@example.com or 495-3648 Meg’s coordinating all press for the event.
Join us: The bigger the movement, the stronger the impact! If your group wants to join the Alliance for Common Good on January 9th, please contact Ridgely: firstname.lastname@example.org by January 6th.
The Alliance for the Common Good currently includes:
350 Maine, Artists Rapid Response Team, Alliance for Democracy, American Friends Service Committee, Americans Who Tell the Truth, Bring Our War $$ Home, citizens of the Penobscot Nation, CodePink, Community Water Jusitce, Defending Water for Life, Don’t Waste ME, Food for Maine’s Future, Forest Ecology Network, Global Network, anti-industrial wind activists, Maine EarthFirst!, Maine Greens, Maine Peace Action Committee, Maine Prisoner Advocacy Coalition, Occupy groups statewide, Pax Christi Maine, Peace Action Maine, Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine, Peninsula Peace and Justice, Pine Tree Youth Organizing, Resources for Organizing and Social Change, Stop the East-West Corridor, We the People Maine …