Divestment: Calling All Alumni
Are you a graduate of a Maine college or university?
All the major educational institutions in the state are signatories to the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment. That commitment says, in part, “We believe colleges and universities must exercise leadership in their communities and throughout society by modeling ways to minimize global warming emissions.”
Unfortunately, most school endowments are invested in the fossil fuel industry. The business plan of coal, oil, and gas companies is to dig up and sell as much fossil fuel as they can. Proven reserves represent five times more carbon dioxide than we can afford to release if we hope to keep global temperature rise to 2 degrees Celsius, the amount agreed upon by world governments.
No one can serve two masters. Either our alma maters commit to sustainability, or they commit to business as usual. Business as usual is destroying the planet.
They need your help. Harvard alum Wen Stephenson stated the situation eloquently at a recent Divest Harvard alumni rally.
What you can do:
- Contact student divestment groups from your alma mater to learn how alumni can support their campaigns
- Sign the on-line petition for your school
- Use this list to send letters to the Board of Trustees and Alumni Association of your alma mater to ask them to support divestment
- Organize with other alumni to get involved
- Write letters to the editor
Contact the 350 Maine Divestment Team for more information - and to support the efforts of the Divestment Team: