PUC CMP Rate Hike Hearing Update
There was lots of solar-supportive yellow in Hallowell and Portland during the recent Public Utilities Commission (PUC) hearings related to the Central Maine Power (CMP) rate hike request. This “infrastructure fee” would negatively impact the growing need for renewable energy and must be opposed. Please see our webpage update here for additional information. For those of you who want to make a public comment, please see the link here.
Reject and Protect Update
We remain committed to supporting a 350 Maine presence at the Reject and Protect event in Washington, D.C. on April 26th. We have investigated a number of affordable transportation options; additional information is available here and save-the-date of May 17th - when national local actions (including in Maine) will be developed.
Metallic Mining update
With roll call votes along party lines, the House had its second vote on LD 1772 (rejecting the rules; see the results of the roll call vote here) and LD 1851 (delaying the implementation date for the mining statute LD 1853 to June 1, 2016; see the vote here). As of April 4th, the Senate had yet to vote on LD 1752 on 1851. Please contact your senator and insist that they vote YES on LD 1772 and 1851.
Host a 350 Climate Change Movie Night
350.org has invited each of us to host “Year of Living Dangerously" events across the country. On Sunday, April 13th @ 7 p.m. (ET), we will join together to watch the first chapter of a 9-part series that connects the dots on climate change. As we know, climate change is “the biggest story of our time” (as per James Cameron, director of Avatar and Titanic). There will be a web-chat after the show at 8:30 ET. Please see the link above to host or to find a hosted event - and let us know if you plan to host an event so that we can help to spread the word; contact us at email@example.com. See this link for updated information about events in Maine (currently in Auburn and Greater Portland).
Save the Date!
- NOTE: the April 12 CREDO Action Training has been rescheduled to May 3. Join us for Non-Violent Civil Disobedience (NVCD) training for the Credo Pledge of Resistance, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Durham. Please contact Lee Chisholm for additional information and to sign up.
- Portland, April 10: Sierra Club has invited 350 Maine supporters to their monthly Social Get Together.
- Bangor, April 13: "Bidder 70" 6 p.m., Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine, 96 Harlow St. FMI: 942-9343 or firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.peacectr.org
- Portland, April 20: Urban Earth Day, 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m., Congress Square Park
- Orono, April 26: HOPE Festival, 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., UMaine-Orono
- Also, stay engaged with our 350 Maine Tar Sands Team: Every Tuesday night @ 7 p.m.: the Tar Sands Team Conference Call. See here for more information. (Conference Dial-in Number: 1-213-550-2200; Participant Access Code: 317-1692#) Our next Tar Sands Team Meeting will take place in early May; see this poll to sign up.